Hope's Star

By the light of the stars that weren't shining last night
I searched for the tunnel at the end of our sight;
And I stumbled at last, in a forest of fir,
On a corpse that the dead had forgot to inter.
'Twas the corpse of fair Hope in garments that gleamed
In astral arrangements like visions that seemed
Certain to those who believe what they've seen--
But wandering stars these (St. Jude, verse 13)
Lost in the darkness, dead bugs which had glowed
Like stars do the moment before they explode.

By the light of the stars that weren't shining last night
I buried Hope there, at the end of our sight.
And turned then, unseeing, and journeyed afar
Like magi dyslexic who flee from a star.
On dry streams of reason I built me an ark
Of doubts that we saw by the dusk's early dark
All that good Fortune could find in a slump
Dishonor, disaster, doom, Donald Trump;
And my ark ran ashore on a vortex at sea,
A dark weight of blackness where a star used to be.

By the light of the stars that weren't shining last night,
I saw the ground stir, like the dust in a fight
And Jordon rushed over its dark, stormy banks
As the continent brushed off the dusk from its flanks,
I rushed in my terror through the of the dawn
With the coming of things which were all done and gone
And the graves they were opened, and I saw fair Hope
Saw her waltz on her tomb like a bell on a rope;
And a crucified man, danced blithe at her side
With a dead splendor bright as when rockets collide.

By the light of the stars that weren't shining last night
I saw a new star dawn at the end of our sight,
It was the deathlight of Hope but it shined more like life
As the sweet song of vict'ry thro' screams of the strife;
Like spilt blood red roses in the deserts were born
(I know they were roses when I felt a thorn)
And still the star shone, too glorious to cope
A bright reborn spirit of once buried Hope:
In the light of that star lie the ages impearled
God's in his heav'n, all's right with the world.

Comments

Popular Posts